Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Virtues of Aayatul Kursi


The Verse of The Throne


1. It is narrated from Hazrat Ubay ibn Ka’b radiyallahu anhu that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked, "Abu Mundhir, do you know which verse of Allah’s book that you have is greatest?"

I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know best." He repeated his question and I said, "Allahu La ilaha illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum."

Thereupon he struck me on the chest and said, "May Knowledge be pleasant for you Abu Mundhir!"
(Muslim)

2. Hazrat Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu said, "Allah’s Messenger appointed me to take charge of the Zakah of Ramadhaan, hence someone came to me and began to take up handfuls of the food. I seized him and told him I was certainly going to take him to Allah’s Messenger sallallahu alaihe wasallam . However, when he said, "I am needy, I have children dependent on me, and I have a pressing need." I let him go.

In the morning the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked, "What happened to your prisoner last night, Abu Hurairah?"

I replied, "O’ Messenger of Allah, he complained of great need and of having children dependant on him, so I had pity on him and let him go."

He said, "He lied to you and he will come back." I realised that he would return because Allah’s Messenger sallallahu alaihe wasallam had told me so. Therefore, I lay waiting for him. When he came and began to take up handfuls of food, I seized him and told him I am certainly going to take you before Allah’s Messenger.

He said, "Let me go, for I am needy with children dependant on me, and I shall not return." I had pity on him and let him go.

In the morning, Allah’s Messenger sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked me, "What happened to your prisoner, Abu Hurairah?"

I replied, "Messenger of Allah, he complained of great need and of having children dependent on him, so I had pity on him and let him go."

Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "He has certainly lied to you, and he will come back."

So, I lay in wait for him, and when he came back and took up handfuls of food I seized him and said, "I am certainly going to take you before Allah’s Messenger sallallahu alaihe wasallam , for this is third instance you are asserting you will not return but you always do."

He said, "If you let me go I will teach you some words by which Allah will reward you. When you go to your bed recite the Verse of the Throne, till you finish the verse, for a guardian from Allah will then remain over you and no devil will come near you till the morning."

Therefore, I let him go, and in the morning Allah’s Messenger sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked me, "What happened to your prisoner."

I replied, "He asserted that he would teach me some words by which Allah will benefit me."

He said, "He certainly told you the truth though he is a great liar. Do you know whom you have been talking to for three nights?" When I replied that I did not, he said, "That was a devil."
(Bukhari)

3. Hazrat Abu Hurairah radiyallahu anhu reported Allah’s Messenger sallallahu alaihe wasallam as saying, "If anyone recites in the morning, Ha-Meem (of Surah Mumin) to Ilayhil Maseer (3rd aayah of the surah) and Aayatul Kursi, he will be guarded (from all kinds of evil) by them till the evening. And if anyone recites them in the evening he will be guarded by them till the morning."
(Tirmizi)

4. Hazrat Abu Umamah radiyallahu anhu relates that Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam has said, "Whoever recites Aayatul Kursi after every obligatory prayer nothing except death prevents him from entering heaven." (That is say that the only thing that is preventing him from entering heaven is death. When it will come, he will go straight into paradise).
(Nasai)

5. Hazrat Umar radiyallahu anhu one day came out towards people who were in an orderly line and asked, "Who will tell me the greatest verse in the Qur’aan?" Hazrat Abdullah ibn Mas’ood radiyallahu anhu replied, "You have come across somebody who is acquainted with this, for I have heard Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam saying, "The greatest verse in the Qur’aan is Allahu La ilaha illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum."
(Ibn Mardawayh)

6. Hazrat Asma binte Yazid radiyallahu anhu has been reported to have said, "I have heard Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam saying, ‘In these two verses; Allahu La ilaha illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum and Alif Laam Meem Allahu La ilaha illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum (Surah Ale-Imran) is Allah’s greatest name."
(Ahmad)

7. Hazrat Abu Umamah radiyallahu anhu reports this Hadith from Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam Hazrat Umamah radiyallahu anhu says, "Allah’s greatest name when asked by and supplicated by grants the prayer is in three Surahs: Surah Baqarah; Surah Ale-Imran and Surah Ta-Ha."
(Ibn Kathir)

Note: The narrator of the above hadith is referring to the verse; Allahu La ilaha illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum in Surah Baqarah, Alif Laam Meem Allahu La ilaha illa Huwal Hayyul Qayyum in Surah Ale-Imran and Wa Anatil Wujoohu Lil Hayyul Qayyum in Surah Ta-Ha.

8. Hazrat Muhammad ibn Hanafiyyah rahmatullahi alaihe reports that when the Verse of the Throne was revealed all the idols in the world fell to the ground. Likewise every king of the world went into prostration, and their crowns fell off from their heads and the satans fled toppling over each other until they came to Iblees and informed him of the strange happenings. Iblees ordered them to go in search for this. So they came to Madinah and discovered the revelation of Aayatul Kursi.
(Qurtubi)

9. It is reported that once Hazrat Umar radiyallahu anhu confronted a jinn and overcame him in combat, upon this the jinn pleaded, "Let me go, and I will teach you something through which you can gain protection from us." Hazrat Umar radiyallahu anhu let him go and asked the jinn about this. The jinn replied, "You people can gain protection from us through Aayatul Kursi."
(Qurtubi)

10. Hazrat Ali radiyallahu anhu says, "I heard the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam saying from the pulpit, ‘Whoever recites the Verse of the Throne after every prayer nothing save death prevents him from entering paradise. Only a Siddiq or a worshipper will be constant in its reading. And who ever shall recite it when he retires to bed, Allah Ta’ala will grant him, his neighbour, his neighbour’s neighbour and the surrounding houses safety and protection."
(Qurtubi)

11. When Hazrat Abdur Rahman ibn Awf radiyallahu anhu used to enter his house, he used to recite Aayatul Kursi in all four corners of the house, to keep satan away.
(Qurtubi)

12. Hazrat Anas radiyallahu anhu says that Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked one of his companions, "Are you married?"

The companion replied, "No! In fact I don’t possess enough wealth with which to carry out my marriage."

Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihe wasallam asked, "Do you know Surah Iklaas (Qul huwallahu ahad)?"

The companion replied, "Yes."

The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "It is equal to one fourth of the Qur’aan." Then the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam enquired, "Do you know Surah Zil-Zal (Iza zul zilatil ardhu)?"

The companion replied, "Yes, I do."

The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "It is equal to one fourth of the Qur’aan." The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam again asked, "Do you know iza ja’a nasrullah?"

The companion replied, "Indeed."

The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "It is equal to one fourth of the Qur’aan." The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam again asked, "Do you know Aayatul Kursi?"

The companion replied, "Indeed."

The Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihe wasallam said, "It is equal to one fourth of the Qur’aan."

No comments:

Post a Comment